800-758-9160 (Toll Free)
Melissa Kenney, Esq., Of Counsel, (admitted in MD) Since moving from Maryland, where she is admitted to practice law, Melissa N. Kenney now concentrates her practice in social security disability law. In addition to representing claimants at disability hearings in Oregon and Washington and writing district and appellate briefs for disability cases of JP Law, PC. and other Social Security Disability firms nationally, Melissa N. Kenney is an active citizen in Portland, OR. Melissa N. Kenney is a board member for one organization, AYCO (African Youth and Community Organization) and was a member of the Columbia River Peace Corps Association. She is also a member of Oregon Women Lawyer's Network and the Portland Asperger's Network.
Ms. Kenney possesses extensive presentation and teaching experience in law, disability and cross-cultural issues in working with clients, including recent presentations in 2011 and 2012 for the Oregon Women Lawyer's Leadership Forum in Portland, OR, and for National Organization of Social Security Claimant's Representatives (NOSSCR) in San Antonio, TX.
Ms. Kenney is a graduate of Catholic University, Columbus School of Law in Washington D.C., is a member of the Maryland State Bar Association, and was nominated for the Top 100 Lawyers in Maryland in 2009, eight months after passing the Maryland Bar. Prior to her legal career, Ms. Kenney worked as a therapist for adults and youth with mental illness, appeared on television and spoke at NGO conferences in Latvia on teaching special needs children and working with teens and adults affected by mental illness.
Areas of Practice
- Social Security Disability
- Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 2006
- Portland State University
- B.S. - 1996
- Major: Psychology
Professional Associations and Memberships
- NOSSCR, Member
- AYCO (African Youth and Community Organization), Board Member
- Columbia River Peace Corps Association, Board Member - Secretary, 2011 - 2012
- Oregon Women Lawyers Network, Member
- Portland Asperger's Network, Member
Past Employment Positions
- David Lowry Law Offices, Attorney
- State of Alaska, Office of Children's Services, Children's Service Specialist
- HooverLaw, LLC, Attorney